Events

ESIDIMENI PROJECT HEAD SAYS HE’S LEARNT FROM TRAGEDY

JOHANNESBURG – The Gauteng Health Department official who headed the Esidimeni project says he’s learnt from the tragedy.

Levy Mosenogi’s testimony wrapped up on Wednesday in the arbitration hearing between the State and families of the victims of the Esidimeni tragedy.

One hundred and eighteen psychiatric patients died after being moved from the group’s facilities last year.

There were emotional scenes when Mosenogi asked for forgiveness from the families of Esidimeni patients who lost their lives.

Mosenogi admitted during his evidence that he was pressurised by former MEC Qedani Mahlangu and her HOD.

He promised the families that he will never again succumb to this type of pressure.

“I apologise on behalf of myself, on behalf of my colleagues who were in the project and on behalf of the Department of Health. A lesson is that, as public servants, we know this speaks truth to power.”

Today, the testimony of the National Health Department’s Director-General Precious Matsoso continues.nwwquhdaqpirlfkvcjoz

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*